Recipe: Wine Reduction Sauce
Serves 8 | Prep Time 10 minutes | Cooking Time 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp finely minced shallots
- 1 cup strong red wine, such as a Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1 to 2 cups demi-glace
- Add salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place the shallots and wine in a good quality small pot and cook at low temperature until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the demiglace and cook at low heat, swirling occasionally, until the sauce has thickened.
- Strain into a bowl and discard the shallots.
- Clean your pot and return the strained sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. If the sauce tastes acidic add small amounts of butter and swirl to incorporate, until the flavor is well balanced.
- Keep warm over a double boiler until ready to serve.
The sauce needs to be prepared and plated close to serving time. Once it cools down the gelatin in the demi-glace may solidify and be inedible – especially if you will use it as decoration in small quantities.
Learn to make this and much more during our cooking classes: