Serves 4 | Prep Time 10 minutes | Cooking time:1/2 hour | Cooling time: 1/2 hour in the refrigerator
- 1 cup dry bulgur or quinoa
- 2 bunches of fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
Vegetables and Aromatics
- 1 cucumber
- 3 medium roma tomatoes
- 2 large scallions
- 1 tsp lemon peel
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- If using bulgur cook in boiling water until soft and water has evaporated. If it is still liquid drain.
- If using quinoa, cook in salted boiling water until the grains bloom.
- Allow to cool.
- Toss with the herbs, some of the lemon juice and cucumbers.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking the oil, the rest of the lemon juice, lemon rind and salt and pepper.
- Mix everything together and adjust taste. It should be lemony and zesty
- Allow to cool before serving.
A salad that is as much about the herbs as the lemon juice, tabbouleh should be bright and really aromatic.
Usually served as a side dish to something strong and meaty, such as chicken or lamb souvlaki skewers, it can also be eaten as an appetizer, scooped up in pita or a good quality flat bread.
For a gluten free version you can substitute the traditional bulgur wheat for quinoa.
For a sweeter version, add some rehydrated, finely chopped dates or other fruit.