Recipe: Pesto Pizza
Serves 4 | Prep Time 15 minutes | Resting Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time 4 to 6 minutes
- 1 ball pizza dough.
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp cup grated parmesan cheese
- 7 slices low moisture mozzarella
- 5 or 6 thin slices prosciutto
- Place basil in a food processor.
- Add enough olive oil to allow the machine to turn.
- Add garlic and process.
- Add parmesan cheese and process.
- Add nuts at the very end and process lightly to your desired level of crunchiness.
- Flour a pizza peel lightly. Stretch the dough and place on the peel.
- Spread the pesto, then add the mozzarella slices and cover with prosciutto.
- Make sure the pizza slides easily on the peel using a jerking motion. Lower yourself to the level of your oven rack and making sure the peel is totally horizontal, slide it directly on the stone or steel by making short but purposeful jerky movements.
- Bake until the crust browns and the prosciutto has cooked.
Making your own pizza is really fun and almost magical. No matter how many times I do it I am always fascinated by the process: starting with ingredients and transforming them into this dough that is alive, learning the nuances and details that will lead to success. Once you learn the basics you can play with the ingredients to your heart’s content
The combination of pesto, mozzarella and prosciutto on a thin crust is so satisfying that you will want to make it for all your pizza parties.
For a vegetarian variation, just leave out the prosciutto
Learn to make this and much more during ourcooking class: