Recipe: Mushroom Cream Soup
Serves 4 to 6 | Prep Time 10 minutes | Cooking Time 30 minutes
For the stock
- 2 oz raw shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 medium carrot
- 1 pound Italian or Crimini brown Mushrooms raw
- 1 medium Leeks raw
- 0.25 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 4 quart water
- 1 tbsp Bouquet Garni (optional)
For the soup
- 0.50 cup madeira, cognac or other alcohol of your choice
- 1 shallot
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 0.25 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 pound button mushrooms Mushrooms
- 3 cup Mushroom Stock
- salt and pepper
- 0.50 cup heavy cream
- Grind the mushrooms, carrots and leeks separately in a food processor.
- Sautee in oil in the stock pot for 2 minutes.
- Add bouquet garni and 2 quarts of water. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain through a chinoise.
- Return vegetables to the pot. Add remaining 2 quarts water and simmer for 45 minutes more.
- Strain again.
- Combine the two batches of stock in the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to 3 cups.
- Cool and store.
- Sautee shallots in butter.
- Stir in garlic and rosemary.
- Add mushrooms and coat with butter. Cook until mushrooms release some of their liquid.
- Add alcoholic beverage and allow some of the alcohol evaporate.
- Add stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- Enrich with cream and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Puree and return to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
A flavorful and creamy mushroom soup. We use very little cream to achieve a supple effect by blending using a powerful blender and/or passing the soup through a very fine mesh sieve.
Learn to make this and much more during our cooking class:
Around the World Gourmet
Sous Vide Salmon with Gnocchi
Duck Breast with Wine Reduction Sauce
Cream of Tomato Soup