Recipe: French Apple Tart
Serves 8 | Prep Time 1.5 hour (including making the crust) | Resting Time 30 minutes | Cooking Time 2.5 hours total
- 1 recipe tart dough. Click here for instructions
- 6 golden delicious or Jonah Gold apples
- 1 tbsp butter sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp apricot jam (for glaze), diluted with a bit of water and warmed up before glazing.
- Peel, core and slice the apples very thinly.
- Place on the crust (which should be still in its mold) in a spiral of rings starting on the outside, working towards the middle.
- Place the butter on top of the apples trying to get as much coverage as possible.
- Sprinkle sugar on top of the apples.
- Place in a 350F oven for about 25 minutes until the apples are starting to char a little and the crust is fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and before it cools down paint with the apricot glaze. Set aside to cool until ready to serve.
This tart has just the right amount of sweetness, ideal for finishing an elevated meal when you want to keep it light.
This recipe depends in large part on a flaky, light tart crust, explained here.
The apples are arranged beautifully, almost resembling a flower, so it is important to to slice them very thin, as this makes them easier to bend as you move towards the center of the tart.
This tart is served during the following cooking classes: