Recipe: Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake
Serves 8 | Prep Time 1/2 hour | Cooking Time 40 minutes
- 140 grams butter
- 140 grams almonds
- 140 grams Dark baking chocolate chopped
- 165 grams sugar
- 1.5 T cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs, separated +6 egg whites
- lemon zest from one lemon
- vanilla extract
- Powder sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and place parchment paper in 9 inch cake pan
- Toast almonds until lightly golden. Then grind to resemble coarse sand, not too fine.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Add butter until melted and combined well. Allow to cool slightly.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until creamy and light yellow.
- Add the chocolate mixture and beat until well combined.
- Add the chocolate powder, ground almonds, lemon zest and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold chocolate mixture into the egg whites.
- Place in the baking pan and bake for 40 minutes. Surface will be cracked.
- Remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar just before serving.
The success of this recipe depends on creaming the egg yolks and the sugar to the right consistency, and the whites beaten to stiff peaks properly.
It is important to fold the mixture without deflating the beaten egg whites as the air inside is what produces a nice crumb as there are no leaveners used in this recipe.
Learn to make this and much more during our cooking class: