1/2 pound dried chickpeas
2 ounces picked fresh cilantro, parsley, and mint leaves
6 scallions, white and pale green parts only, sliced
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 tsp xantham gum
vegetable oil, for frying
- Soak the chickpeas from 12 to 24 hours until well hydrated.
- Discard the water and place the chickpeas with all the other ingredients except for the oil in a food processor. Process until very fine.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to rest for 15 minutes, giving time for starch to seep out. This will help retain the shape of the balls.
- Form into balls about 1.5 inch in diameter. If you have difficulty forming the balls add a tsp of baking soda. Deep fry immediately until golden and crispy on the outside.
- Serve on a plate or in a pita bread pocket, with tahini sauce, tomatos, cucumbers, pickles and a shredded, leafy or cruciferous vegetable.
Falafel is a street food found everywhere in the Middle East. Made with chickpeas, it is a perfect vegan option.