Recipe: Date and Ice Cream Shake
Serves 8 | Prep Time 10 minutes | Cooking Time 15 minutes
- 1/2 pound pitted dates
- 2 quarts best quality milk, such as Strauss
- 1 pint really good quality vanilla ice cream
- 2 vanilla beans, scraped (save the beans for making vanilla extract)
- 1 cup of water
- date powder
- gas cartridges for siphon
- Place the dates in a pot with the water and bring to a boil.
- Let cool and place in a blender with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend on high until very smooth.
- Pass through a chinois or a tamis for the smoothest possible results.
- Place a third of the preparation in a siphon. Add 1 gas cartridge and shake. Add the second gas cartridge, and shake. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Place the other two thirds of the shake in a carafe and keep cold in a bowl of ice until ready to serve.
- Serve in a small glass. Top with the creamed shake and top that with some date powder.
This recipe is a Palm Springs classic, so simple that it relies on using the best quality ingredients. It can be made using vanilla extract but it does not compare to the exquisite preparation that results when using vanilla beans.
Use the best possible milk and ice cream you can get. Dates from the farmer’s market. And enjoy a very simple dessert, fantastic for a hot summer night.