Recipe: Crostata di Mandorla
Serves 6 | Prep Time 1 hour | Resting Time: 1/2 hour | Cooking Time 90 minutes total
- One recipe pie crust
- 3 egg whites
- 150 grams almonds
- 150 grams semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 150 grams apricot jam
- Prepare and parbake the pie crust (click here for recipe)
- Spread a thin layer of apricot jam in the bottom of the crust using a thin spatula.
- Sprinkle with some chocolate chips.
- Grind 3/4 of the almonds into a powder reserving the rest for finishing.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold in the almond powder and 3/4 of what’s left of the chocolate chips.
- Spread this mixture on top of the apricot jam and the chips making sure to go all the way to the end.
- Sprinkle the top with the rest of the chips and slice some almonds using a paring knife directly on the surface.
- Bake in a 350F oven for half an hour until the egg white has set.
- Allow to cool and serve either slighly warm or at room temperature.
With just the right amount of sweetness, this tart is typical of Italian desserts, served at the end of a meal in small portions. Perhaps indulge drinking a dry prosecco.
Learn to make this and much more during our cooking class
Fresh Stuffed Pasta Class
Crostata di Mandorla