Recipe: Cream of Tomato Soup
Serves 8 | Prep Time 10 minutes | Cooking Time 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp all-purpose white flour
- 4 tomatoes
- Smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp strong wine or other alcohol
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Sweat the onion in butter until translucent.
- Grind tomatoes to a paste.
- Add tomato paste and caramelize.
- Add flour and cook briefly.
- Add alcohol and cook for a minute to evaporate some of the alcohol.
- Add tomatoes, paprika and stock.
- Simmer for 45 minutes for flavors to develop.
- Add cream.
- Season with salt and pepper
A rich, very complex tomato soup, good by itself or as part of a more general appetizer, perhaps in a shot glass.
Learn to make this and much more during our cooking class:
Around the World Gourmet
Sous Vide Salmon with Gnocchi
Duck Breast with Wine Reduction Sauce
Cream of Tomato Soup