Recipe: Two Bean Soup Au Pistou
Serves 10 | Prep Time 15 minutes | Resting Time: 1 to two hours | Cooking Time 4 to 6 minutes
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock. (Find recipe here)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced large
- 1 cup navy beans
- 1 cup black beans
- 3 medium tomatoes concasse
- 1 large zucchini diced large
- 1 cup dried vegan pasta
- 1 cup mushrooms combination white, shitaake or oyster
- 2 tbsp herbs of your choice, such as thyme, savory or rosemary
- 1 cup basil leaves chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic minced fine
- 1 tbsp pecans
- 1 medium tomato concasee
- 1 tsp salt
- In a mortar and pestle or a small food processor pound or grind all the garlic to a paste, add the basil and some of the olive oil.
- Add the chopped and peeled tomato and keep mixing until well incorporated
- Add nuts and keep pounding or mixing until well incorporated. Adjust seasoning and the level of olive oil to taste.
- Soak the beans overnight in the refrigerator in separate bowls.
- Drain and boil them in separate pots with enough water and some salt until al dente.
- Heat up a heavy pot and add a film of olive oil.
- Brown the mushrooms until golden and caramelized. Set aside.
- Add the mirepoix (carrots, onions and celery diced small), add a small amount of salt and cook in the same pot as the mushrooms, at low heat, for at least 15 minutes or soft and shiny.
- Deglaze the pot with the wine and cook for 5 minutes giving the alcohol a chance to evaporate.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Add the potatoes and cook for about 12 minutes until tender but not falling apart.
- Add the zucchini and the rest of the tomatoes a couple of minutes before the potatoes are done.
- These vegetables will cook really fast.
- Add the herbs.
- Cook for 5 minutes allowing all flavors to blend.
- Once the beans are cooked drain and add to the pot.
- Serve in individual bowls with some of the pesto on each
Some notes here
Learn to make this recipe (and much more) during our cooking class:
Vegetarian Dishes from the Mediterranean
Two Bean Soup au Pistou
French Apple Tart
Chef Daniel Morduchowicz